Monday 21 November 2022

IISA 5TH WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS 2023 - Part 2

 

A snapshot of my IISA jumper (new)...




With the excitement of beling selected to represent Great Britain in the World Championships still in the front of my mind, I immediately went out and bought new stationery because, well lists... and thanks to my lists, within the day I had all the essentials sorted: flights and accommodation booked, transfers organised, a medical booked, insurance sorted and signed off as complete with a big highlighted tick with my highlighter pen... also new. 

In the interest of honesty, the above was achieved relatively quickly and seamlessly, which gave me plenty of time to move on to other essential items I would need to get, like a new swimming costume for starters. Something I felt the occasion warranted. This would no doubt take more time, as carefull consideration was required if I were to find one with a pattern that said, without words, that I was representing GB and I have done this by swimming in exceptionally cold water. I wasn't entirely sure that there was a costume out there that could say such a thing as it was quite a niche message really, however I felt that a huge Union flag emblazoned across it would, in part, achieve this AND it's not like I would never wear it again after the event... I can say with certainty that I will be wearing it at absolutely every opportunity, and probably not just for swimming - if it's at all possible to get away with it. It needed to firstly comply with the IISA rules, but also had to be zipless (once bitten, twice shy. I am refering to the horrid pool exit once when a costume with a zip spectacularly malfunctioned) and very importantly, that it covers everything it needs to - I would prefer neck to ankle, which would 100% rule out the possibility of a mid-swim exposure incident, however rules are rules, and above the knee was as long as was officially allowed. 

Time and thought also went into researching other important factors, such as new snow boots, new fleece lined hat, new, official IISA jumper, hand warmers, feet warmers (which are an actual thing), fleecy jumpers, skiing gloves that would not be used for skiing (I do not have the knees, or the inclination for it), but as they say, when in Rome... and a hot water bottle, also new... In addition to this, and something I honestly cannot believe that I will need to pack in my 'essential' list is an umbrella, after my research uncovered the rather unexpected, and completely unbelievable fact that it in January in Samoens it actually rains for 6.5 days a week! 

I confess, as I read this list back to myself, it did sound a bit over the top, as well as expensive, however, I should add that having spashed out on most of the aforementioned (I couldn't bring myself to buy feet warmers - a decision I hope I wouldn't regret), I did manage to absorb the cost of the new costume I was yet to purchase. I was able to achieve this with the multiple discounts I had been offered if I entered my e-mail for their mailing lists, and in return they also all promised to keep me updated with future new products and offers, which at first sounded very appealing, however 2 days in, and there seems to be a lot of them, and when I say a lot I am not exaggerating when I conservatively put the number in my inbox to be near eleventy billion notifications already. When my hunt for the perfect costume is over I will unsubscribe from them all, but in the meantime, I shall leave them there on the off chance that I don't miss that offer for that perfect costume. I feel I would regret not being inundated if I didn't... 


Thanks for reading. Next week's blog promises to include actual swimming and includes some of the concerns that my first 'meaningful' swim brought to light. There were a few, and for more frequent, and shorter updates, please follow me on Instagram. 





No comments:

Post a Comment